National Legislative Framework
The National Quality Framework is underpinned by the Education and Care Services National Law (‘National Law’) and Education and Care Services National Regulations (‘National Regulations’). Together they set the National Quality Standard and the regulatory framework for most long day care, preschool/kindergarten, family day care and outside school hours care services in all states and territories.
The National Law provides objectives and guiding principles for the National Quality Framework.
In making decisions about operating education and care services and working to achieve the National Quality Standard to improve quality at services, the guiding principles of the National Quality Framework apply. These principles are:
- The rights and best interests of the child are paramount.
- Children are successful, competent and capable learners.
- Equity, inclusion and diversity underpin the framework.
- Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures are valued.
- The role of parents and families is respected and supported
- Best practice is expected in the provision of education and care services.